SAVING MONEY USING HERBS
It is possible to make money from the herbs that you grow, or to even save money by making items rather than having to purchase them.
I have written 30 ideas of ways that you can save or make money from your herbs. There will be many more ideas, though this gives you an idea and a good basis to start with.
- Growing herbs and veggies. You will save money by growing your own plants. The average household could save between $15 and $20 a week by eating their own produce. One huge added bonus is that you know where the food has come from and you can be assured of its quality and growing means.
- Share cropping your herbs and veggies. This system works well, especially if certain gardens are more suited to certain vegetables. It means one household grows one or two types of veggies and the next household something different. Once the herbs and veggies are ready to harvest then they can be shared between those growing them. This is beneficial in having certain veggies will not all be harvested at the same time. Once again money is saved from your grocery bills.
- Sell your surplus fruit, vegetables and herbs. Whether to friends or family, or on the roadside.
- Make oils, vinegars and jams with excess produce. These could either be sold or they can be used as gifts to save money spent buying gifts.
- Sell or swap excess seed as long as it is viable seed.
- Sell or swap any excess plants, either in pots or hanging baskets.
- Learn how to bonsai and then sell the bonsai plants.
- Create herb foods. Lavender biscuits, rose jelly and caraway scones are some of my favourites.
- Dry and press plants and flowers to make pictures that can be sold, or just sell bunches of dried herbs and flowers.
- Make chilli sauce.
- Make some topiary pots to use as gifts or sell.
- Make some terrariums for gifts or to sell.
- Make some pot pourri.
- Sew some wheat and lavender bags for gifts or to sell.
- Create some herb candles.
- Make some herb sachets such as lavender pillows to place under your pillow to aid sleep.
- Try making some of your own perfume.
- Create some pest deterrent sprays to apply on the garden or use as gifts.
- Create some herb soaps.
- Try making some herb creams using infusions of the herbs in a water based cream base.
- Make herb teas, great for your body and health.
- Create herb wreaths for Christmas.
- Create some herb bath bags.
- Use herbs to create magic.
- Make some herb wine. Elderberry is particularly good.
- Make some herb hair rinses.
- Sew some scented herb coat hangers.
- Create some herb wall hangings.
- Create some herb stationary.
- Create any herb crafts that you can think of, to sell or use and gift ideas.
Our online dried herbs can be found here